Oregon/Washington: 10/18 – 10/21/20

We left Heber City, Utah, and headed north into Idaho. Once again, we stopped in Boise to visit our in-laws and enjoyed a meal while we caught up. Their house was jazzed up for Halloween.

We spent the night at Ambassador RV Park, and got an early start the following morning. Heading west on 84 into Oregon to 201S to 20W, we drove through Juntura (where the time zone changes from MST to PST. Thankfully, there was a street sign to let us know it was happening.

As we continued driving north, you could see Mount Hood in the distance. We drove to Little Sisters (just south) and boon docked off Route 20.

After driving on Route 20 for several hours the following morning, we stopped at a trailhead for the PCT to stretch our legs and take a hike. Unfortunately, it was “Closed Due to Extreme Fire Behavior.”

Beautiful view of Mt. Washington

About an hour later, we drove through the town of Detroit, which was hit hard by the raging wildfires. Many homes were burnt to the ground. It almost looked like a war zone. It was so odd to see a single home standing intact amongst the ruins of so many others. Since I was born and raised on the East Coast, I had never seen such devastation from fire in a town before. I had only seen the aftermath of fire it in the depths of the forests and mountains. I said a prayer for the displaced families.

We continued east and then north into McMinnville. There is free overnight parking at the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum. We parked the trailer and took a stroll around the grounds. There are four buildings that display artifacts from the Early 1900’s, WWI, WWII, and up to modern times. We passed on going inside the museums and chose to enjoy the sites from outside the building. Below is a view of Howard Hughes’ Spruce Goose, the biggest wooden airplane in the world. It is massive!

If you have young children, this would be a great place to visit. Although the outdoor playground was closed due to Covid19, someday it will open again.

Later that evening, we met more in-laws at Ruddick Wood American Restaurant in Newberg. This is the second time that we were in Oregon, and a bonus to meet up with Aimee and Jay again.

In the morning, we were back out on the road again. Traveling on 47N to 26W, we stopped at Sunset Rest Area. We had not seen rain for over two months. Here we were, back in the wet PNW. We parked and took a walk through the forest on Steam Donkey Trail. Everything was wet and very green…another one of our country’s beauties!

Two hours later, we crossed over the Astoria-Megler Bridge, which crosses over the Columbia River from Oregon into Washington.

About 100 miles north up the coastline, Route 101 hugs the Pacific Ocean once again. There are a few public beaches just off the road with small areas to park your car. We stopped at Beach 2 and took a short walk to the water.

Tall trees with interesting buds
Only a short walk from the street
Looking south
Dramatic image of sun reflecting off the water
Not too sandy
The Pacific Ocean looks much different from the Atlantic Ocean

Less than an hour later, we entered the town of Forks, which is located northwestern section of the Olympic Peninsula. Forks was also the filming location for the teen vampire series, Twilight. We spent the night at Forks 101 RV Park, and in the morning began our last trek from Oregon to Whidbey Island.

Bright and early the next morning, we continued north on 101 until it veered east, running parallel to Washington State’s coastline and the Strait of Juan De Fuca. We pulled over at Lake Crescent, and took a short stroll to the water’s edge where we enjoyed the beauty of the day.

We walked the 30 steps back to the truck and Scott discovered that he only had the door remote on his key chain. The key to start the truck had fallen off the ring. Oh boy! Imagine having to look for a black key that has fallen amidst this shoreline. We waded through the shallow water and I “eventually” found the key in the dark, black mud along the shore. Hallelujah!

Looking for keys…which I eventually found not far from where Scott is standing.

After the excitement, we finally made it to Port Townsend Ferry Terminal, which took us across the Admiralty Inlet of the Puget Sound. Whidbey Island, here we come!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.